- French press
- Freshly ground coffee (coarse grind)
- Hot water (just off the boil)
- Coffee mug
- Start by heating water to just below boiling point. Allow it to sit for a moment to reach the ideal temperature of around 195-205°F (90-96°C).
- While the water is heating, measure out the desired amount of coffee. A common ratio is 1:15 or 1:16, meaning 1 part coffee to 15 or 16 parts water.
- Grind the coffee beans to a coarse consistency, resembling breadcrumbs or sea salt.
Add Coffee Grounds:
- Remove the plunger and lid from the French press.
- Add the ground coffee to the bottom of the French press.
Bloom (Optional but Recommended):
- Pour a small amount of hot water over the coffee grounds, just enough to wet them. This step is called blooming and helps release the coffee's flavors and gases.
- Allow the coffee to bloom for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour the hot water over the coffee grounds, starting from the center and working your way outward in a circular motion.
- Ensure all the grounds are saturated with water. Be careful not to fill the French press to the brim.
- You can give the coffee a gentle stir with a spoon to ensure even extraction.
- Place the plunger on top of the French press but do not press it down yet.
- Set a timer for about 4 minutes. This is the recommended brewing time, but you can adjust it slightly based on your taste preferences.
Pressing the Plunger:
- Once the timer goes off, slowly press down the plunger, applying even pressure to separate the coffee grounds from the liquid.
- The plunger should be easy to press; if it feels too hard, your grind may be too fine.
Pour and Enjoy:
- Pour the brewed coffee into your coffee mug.
- French press coffee is best enjoyed immediately. Avoid leaving the coffee in the press as it may become bitter.
French press coffee offers a full-bodied flavor and robustness that highlights the coffee's natural oils and richness. With a bit of experimentation in coffee-to-water ratios and brewing times, you can fine-tune the process to your liking and enjoy a delightful cup of coffee every time.